Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thing #10 - Creative Commons

Such a simple idea... I kind of got a little nervous when I watched the videos and read about copyrights. I felt like looking behind me hoping the copyright people were not coming to take me away. I am sure at some point, I have made a copyright "boo boo" and technically broken the law... I sure hope not, but there is no way for me to know for sure. From this point forward, I definitely know how and where to look for Creative Commons materials. I can sleep easy now, knowing I am in the clear.

I have seen the "cc" symbol on many websites before, and always thought it meant "closed captioned"... which didn't ever make sense to me. Now it does!

Teaching my students how to best utilize Creative Commons will benefit them greatly! They still want to find a website click copy and then paste an image in a piece of their own work. They can never tell me where they found the image. This will be a much better way for me to ensure they know the correct way to use images without having to worry about copyright infringements. I also can't wait to share this with my co-workers. Many of us creat lessons or other educational material which gets used capus- or district-wide. This is one way to do that safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment