Sunday, July 11, 2010

Thing #11 - Photosharing with Flickr

I spent over two hours browsing the site because so many photos caught my eye. Then I would find a photographer whose work was interesting and I would look at all of their photos before I had to get back on track :-) Hmmmmm, I found that I was VERY interested in the photos of "nature", specifically geological photos... I wonder why that is?!?!? LOL

I decided my topic would be erosion because I am always looking for great pictures to share with my students on a variety of weathering, erosion, and deposition... which all commonly get lumped into a single category - erosion. What I found astounded me! There were hundreds of photos in the Creative Commons section that I could find related to "erosion" in some way. I like that I found pictures from all over the world. Students need to realize that the process of erosion happens everyday right in their backyard and all around the globe, never-ending.

I thought about having my students use the Flickr site to create a short slideshow on a specific topic or even just on things they find interesting. I also like the idea that they are able to learn how to correctly give credit to the owner of the photo. I realize now how very important it is for me to teach my students about this.

Here is one of the photos I found on the Flickr site under the topic of erosion. I think it so VERY COOL because I try to replicate this in class, but it is actually hard to do. There is an example on a Bill Nye video that the kids like to do with a penny, but it just isn't the same. This is just perfect!!

I hope to use many of the pictures as examples, but also as "appetizers" for my students. Each picture of erosion tells a story. I love to hear what my students think happened to get the result they see before them... it is always satisfying to hear them use their vocabulary to describe what they think happened :-)

Picture on Flickr-
username: SoilScience.info
direct link to photo here

1 comment:

  1. I know; it's a lot right? I can spend hours "lost" in flickr.

    ReplyDelete