Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thing #22 - Social Networking

1. Why is it important that educators know how social networking works?
  • There are so many social networking sites now, I can hardly keep up. There is a new one that teacers have signed up for recently through the state called Epsilen. This is going to work wonders. I think a network for teachers and students will be in the near future. This provides the freedom to check and respond to work at anytime. This will help older students who have jobs. This can also be helpful for students and teachers to collaborate with peers about school work.
2. What new insights did you gain about these popular sites?
  • I have had a Facebook account for a while now and I love having it. I have touched based with many friends from from high-school. Our entire reunion was planned with the help of Facebook. I have also had a MySpace account in the past, but I did not like it at all. It took too long to load and the privacy settings were not high enough for me. I have had students track me down on Facebook, but I don't allow that unless they are out of high school. I started a page called I was in Ms. Kimble's 5th Grade Class. I have several students and parents who have joined.
3. What did you like or dislike about each of the sites you explored?
  • I like the ability to connect and share. I really DO NOT like the fact that your pictures and information is not a secret as you may initially think. The was it is set up, you have to tell it to be secure. I think it should be the other ay around. When you sign up, everything but your name is secure and you have to tell the site what information you want to be made public. Just Sayin!!!!!
4. Which site had the most useful features?
  • By far, I would have to say Facebook has the most features that are useful. I know many people like to play games on the site. That really isn't my thing, but I know it is great for so many users. I know there was also something at Seven Eleven with Facebook characters recently.
5.Can you see an educational application for any of these sites?
  • In time, I can definitely see sites like this being used for educational purposes. It only needs to be monitored pretty regularly. The biggest worry I have is students posting things they shouldn't. However, I think if it is well thought through, it will be very successful :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment